How to hook a dead prawn

For shore anglers casting far out into the sea.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Kim Bak Lor
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Crabbing, Surf Fishing

How to hook a dead prawn

Post by Kim Bak Lor »

Hi any tips on how to hook a dead prawn? I tried hooking below the horn or on the body but when i throw out it flies out...

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: How to hook a dead prawn

Post by Peace »

There can be a few reasons why your prawn flew off. If the prawn is in a very bad condition to begin with, it'll likely to fly out no matter how you hook it. For dead prawns, I usually double pierce, in from the back(top) and pierce back up from the bottom. Another way is to use impact shield, it's especially good if you want to cast far. Otherwise, just try swift lobbing the prawn out instead of a hard cast.

Kim Bak Lor
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Kim Bak Lor »

so u use one fixed hook and a running hook? for apollo rig isit ok if my hook faces inwardslol

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

One hook is fine especially if you're using live prawns. It's better to face it outwards but I guess it's fine if you're casting it out. The orientation of the hook direction is difficult to control in the water especially at an angle.

Kim Bak Lor
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Kim Bak Lor »

Lol i tried today with pieces of prawn or whole prawns. Caught like 4+ puffers on prawn meat pieces zz... Nowadays like don see anyone catching trevallies.. I used a handline too and used lsbf with tamban and dropped it directly down the jetty, awhile later i pull up gt weight then got a super long fish look like flathead super big it ate my whole tamban then i pull up it drop down zz.

Not sure if i shld use prawn meat still or try using whole tamban/prawn

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by ilurbtambans »

well at least the fishes are biting, just that not the ones that you wanted! it beats a day without any bites! ::x:

Kim Bak Lor
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Kim Bak Lor »

Recently got live prawns and rearing them.. Gonna use them on lsbf and braided line the next time i go! How do i hook the tail btw?

Kim Bak Lor
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Kim Bak Lor »

And i tried crabbing last time just after high tide i crab dam near shore.. No crab. Isit cus my bait so frozen? But i let it thaw and it was smelly. Maybe i should crab from low to high tide

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

You did get a fish, just didn't manage to land it. So it does work. ;) The thing about BJT is there are a lot of bait stealers, so you got to have to do a lot of bait checking especially if you're using prawns. You can setup another float or cable car rig with the live tamban to increase your chances of hitting something. You can hook a live prawns on the last or second last segment of its tail from its side. Be sure not to hit that black vein and lower the rig down gently.

Kim Bak Lor
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Kim Bak Lor »

I see.. Keeping live prawns are irritating the water one day become super cloudy and i was thinking of freezing the dead prawns but the live prawns eat their own kind when their dead

Kim Bak Lor
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Kim Bak Lor »

Why is it that the prawns turn red after they die?? Now i cant freeze the dead prawns to use next time for prawn meat on apollo

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

It's a sign that it has turned bad, so don't use it or for eating. Keep your dead prawns is a cooler box with ice and take out only what you will use shortly. Even with the ice in the cooler box, it's not nearly enough to prevent any degradation to the prawn meat.

Icylines
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: jetty fishing, handline fishing, random fishing (literally)

Post by Icylines »

Ya i have realized that when the prawn turns red the prawn becomes super mushy and stuff, where is a good spot for chermins btw?
haha just recently landed a sai toh at bjt :) :) :) :)
Wheres my Fish?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Bedok Jetty do have Chermins too, if you or a friend have a membership to SAF Yacht Club at Tanah Merah, you can fish at its jetty. That's a good spot for Chermin too.