Fishing for whiting aka "sua jiam"

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

barramundi
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: I am interested in lure fishing, Pole Fishing, Prawning, shore fishing and squid fishing

Fishing for whiting aka "sua jiam"

Post by barramundi »

Hello guys, recently i started fishing for whiting and had a few problems with trying to set the hook in their mouths. I usually use worm hooks of the smallest size and cut up sand worms and my usual haunts are east coast park and pasir ris along with a six foot rod and 2000 reel fitted with 5lbs braided. My rig setup is a two hook paternoster rig.
Could anyone give me tips on when and where to catch them and when should i strike my rod when they are feeding on my bait and what are the best rigs. Thank you so very much!!

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Fishing for whiting aka "sua jiam"

Post by Peace »

Hmm I am not sure of what your exact hook size is but I've not seen worm hooks that are small enough for effective sand whiting fishing. Worm hooks have very long shank, longer than a typical long shank hook. I wouldn't recommend using them for sand whiting unless you really want to use a worm as your bait. Still they would require rather small ones to catch sand whitings effectively.

You can simply use those tamban hooks or similar to tie your paternoster rig or even use tamban rig itself if you want. Prawn meat and worm are equally good but you have to cut them small enough to let them take it whole. You want to slack the line a little while they bite and give them a short while to take the bait in fully.

Sand whitings can usually found along the beach but they tend to congregate at river/canal mouths and lagoons. Fishing on the incoming tide is typically better as well, they will move in closer to shore to look for food.

barramundi
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: I am interested in lure fishing, Pole Fishing, Prawning, shore fishing and squid fishing

Post by barramundi »

Alright, noted. Thanks a lot peace.

BeachBum
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Lure fishing

Post by BeachBum »

I use eyeless hook. The size is about the same as those tamban hooks or slightly bigger. 3 hook paternoster rig. Small size beak hooks are ok too, but eyeless hooks seems better. It is slightly difficult to tie due to it is small size. The line with the hook should not be too long, maybe 10cm.
Ubin ? or Changi. Pasir ris may have at some spots. sembawang park.
When fishing at some places, the whitings are ocassionally bigger at about 15cm or more, while some places the whitings are like 10cm. You can hold the rod, cast out and reel in a bit, stop and wait for a minute, then repeat. or you can cast out and stick the rod into the rod holder and wait for the rod tip to signal a bite.

barramundi
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by barramundi »

Alright noted. thanks alot for your help. :D