fishing gear for newbie....help please.

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

veryk
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

fishing gear for newbie....help please.

Post by veryk »

Hey guys,

I would like to get my boyfriend some fishing gear for christmas. It would be mainly for surf fishing at the jetties. We are both newbies and would like to try our luck with this new hobby.

I thought it might be a good start to first try to fish for tamban and maybe later for bigger fish. (I'd like for my bf to have some succesfull fishing trips)

Tried to catch up reading but i am totally lost when it comes to fishing gear. So here my questions:

1. Any tackle shops around,which wont take advantage of my lack of knowledge trying to overcharge me?

2. Which rod, reel, tackle etc would you recommend for newbies( easy to handle,quality should be reasonable. Dont wanna buy stuff which breaks easy)i thought about a budget of 300$ but i am willing to go above it if it is reasonable.

I am very thankfull for any help i could get.

Thanks in advance.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: fishing gear for newbie....help please.

Post by Peace »

Hi veryk, welcome to HLF. $300 will get you a very decent entry to mid level surf tackle(not including the line). Shimano, Daiwa, Penn and Abu are safe brands to stick if you're not sure, especially when it comes to entry level gear.

You should know that there are two types of tackles; overhead and spinning setup. Gear from both setup should not be interchangeably used, so make sure you get a spinning rod for a spinning reel and overhead rod with an overhead reel. The shop assistant can help you with this.

A spinning setup is easier to learn to cast and operate with, so I would advise going for that. I'd recommend buying Daiwa WindCast 4500 or 4000qd(Reel) to match with Penn Powergraph 12ft(Rod). It's important that he is there to try out the rod to make sure that he is comfortable with the rod weight and length. Tackle has to match the angler's physique for optimum casting distance. Team seahawk rods are also worth a mention and should be slightly cheaper too(I might be wrong).

I believe this setup can be found at Joe's tackle. If you want Shimano surf tackles, you can try Tan Thong Cheong. Other tackle shop with good variety of surf tackles include Top Gear, Changi Pro and Riverland.

Most shops will give you a discount but only if you ask for it.

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by ilurbtambans »

Hi veryk and welcome to HLF! With your budget of 300SGD you can get a decent entry level setup. Taking into consideration that you and your boyfriend are newbies, a spinning setup is highly recommended as it is easy to operate unlike an overhead setup where you require an educated thumb to control the spool to prevent line backlash.

Overhead reel

spinning reel

As for which specific rod and reel to get, i would suggest heading down to the various tackleshops like what Peace has mentioned in his post as i am not too sure on what to get as i'm still a greenhorn in this particular aspect of fishing. If you happen to head down to changi village to take a look at the shops, you might want to include Gary's Tackle which is on the far left side of changi pro tackle, the owner of Gary's Tackle is highly knowledgable on surf fishing and you can clarify your doubts on fishing with him.

Here are a couple of guides on how tie tie various surf rigs and also the various knots to connect your line to the swivels. Alternatively you can refer to this link that Peace has compiled
http://handlinefishing.com/howtofish/knotsrigs/

Rigs
http://handlinefishing.com/howtofish/knotsrigs/apollo/
http://handlinefishing.com/howtofish/knotsrigs/lsbf/
http://handlinefishing.com/howtofish/kn ... /cablecar/

Knots
http://handlinefishing.com/howtofish/kn ... ileneknot/
http://handlinefishing.com/howtofish/knotsrigs/tknot/
http://handlinefishing.com/howtofish/kn ... snellknot/

Don't be disheartened if you guys don't catch anything for the day as it does happen from time to time to even the most experienced angler, just take it as a day to unwind from the hustle and bustle of the city. Do post here if you have any other queries and the moderators here (mainly Peace) will be glad to help you :D

veryk
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by veryk »

Thank you so much for you help and recommendations.

Gonna hit the shops today....first i'll have a look at joe's tackle.

I'll def go for a spinning setup. Just checked out some more vids on youtube....

What other specific basics would you guys recommend?

What i read was:
Casting weights size 4-7
hooks ( tamban hooks for an appolo rig?) Beak hooks size1&2, shank steel hooks 3/0
which lines?
Swivels?
i guess we would start of with bait but do some lures make sence too? If so...which ones
Long nosed pliers.

Great forum by the way....very friendly, helpfull and fast ;)

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by ilurbtambans »

Do remember to look around and compare the prices before biting the bullet!

Casting weights size 4-7
depending on how strong the current is on that day you will use a range of sinker from size 4-8, so 2-3 pieces each of size 4,6,8 should cover all grounds, you also want to get size 0.5-1.5 sinkers for your sabiki rig

hooks ( tamban hooks for an appolo rig?) Beak hooks size1&2, shank steel hooks 3/0
which lines?

For the tamban hooks get the size 3 or 4 white/green combi feathers, or all white feathers. You can either get them from the tackleshops or purchase them from the uncles and aunties who are selling their own hand tied sabiki rigs for 1.50/pack

Have a read at this article too!
http://handlinefishing.com/howtofish/mi ... anjigging/

For the hooks for the apollo rig you can go for size 2 or 1/0, leader for tying your rigs, use dupont 20lb (pounds) for apollo rig and maybe 3/0 hook with 30 or 40lbs for the LSBF( Long Snood Bottom Feeder) or cable car rig as you are going for bigger game

Swivels
You can get the Angler's Pal swivels, try looking for this particular design
The knot that i recommend tying to the eye of the barrel swivel is a trilene knot!

i guess we would start of with bait but do some lures make sence too? If so...which ones

i would suggest that you stick to using bait to fish for the time being since there is alot of information for you guys to take in for the time being, and playing with lures might overcomplicate things as you have the various lures such as deep divers, soft plastics, suspending minnows, etc.. And these different lures have different actions and uses

Just keep it simple by having one rod for your sabiki rig and the surf rod for bigger fishes! Catching tambans can be very very addictive too! That's how i first started fishing by catching tambans, and after some time i decided that tambans no longer give me the thrill and i tried targeting larger fishes, it's either you go big or you become a zerofighter! :mischieve: :mischieve:

Long nosed pliers

A long nosed pliers will help you remove the hook from a toothy fish easily due to the shape of the pliers, do keep in mind that after every trip to rinse in freshwater, leave it to dry and spray some wd-40 to prevent rust

Hope this helps!

poroto
Commercial Representative
Commercial Representative
Fishing interest: I fish exclusively with a yoyito hand line reel. Whether from a kayak, bank, pier or a boat I'm on the water at least three times week.

Post by poroto »

Hello veryk,

I'm new to this forum but am always very happy to see people come into the sport. When I was a newbie (that was many decades ago) I was introduced to fishing with what we call a Cuban Fishing Yoyo. This is a very inexpensive plastic handline reel. I don't know where you are or the availability of yoyo's where you live, but in the states they can be had for less than $10 USD. Over the years I have and still own many fishing rods and reels, some of them very nice ones, but I now fish exclusively with hand line reels. In fact I like them so much that I created a company to manufacture them. We produce a product called the yoyito, which is basically a pocket size reel and comes equipped with line, weights, hooks and swivels. This is basically all you need to fish and I sell them for $30 USD . In my opinion, fishing is not about equipment but about time, practice and patience. Good luck with your holiday shopping search, I'm sure that he'll love whatever you get him.

Here is a video of my product:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/GS-TvjNr5jA[/youtube]
Simple hand line reels for real fishing.
www.fishingyoyito.com