BJT night

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

kyjelly
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: jetty fishing

BJT night

Post by kyjelly »

Hello All,

Sorry a bit noobie.

Recently started fishing at BJT. My equip is salty fighter limited edition 6+ feet rod, Penn Battle2 3000, Mono line Busterlon 6.9kg 0.27mm diameter, appollo rig purchased at Joe's, hook size 4.

Ok so I caught some tamban. Not like a crap load, but a couple. I just wish I can catch anything other than tamban. Even the little yellow tailed mackerels would make me very happy. I found that during the day times, at least I can get some tambans. So far I have no luck at night at all. Yet I favor night fishing because the place is empty and cooler. I went as someone suggested 2 hr before the high tide at night, still nothing. For bait, I have used pieces of sotong (not so good), pieces of octopus (from sushi) (was able to get some tamban during day time), pieces of shrimp (raw thawed, but I kept on missing the bait. dont know if its the bait stealers or I am not put it on right).

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Anything, especially a snapper, other than tamban would be nice.
Damn Fish!!

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Re: BJT night

Post by ilurbtambans »

Sup Kyjellly and Welcome to HLF! the nights at BJT can be rather interesting as many a times there are some decent sized fishes landed there, however i haven't had much luck there.

What you could do is to tie an apollo rig with 1-2 hook, bait it up with prawn cubes and cast under the jetty in between the pillars in search for groupers and parrots, with this style of fishing you will not be able to park your rod against the railing as you want to hold the rod in your hand to feel for the bites.

If you don't get any nibbles or bites, what you can do is shift to another pillar and find out which pillars works best for you , and over time you'll be able to map out what kind of structures are there under the jetty.

kyjelly
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by kyjelly »

Thank you for the suggestions.

Interestingly I did try the techniques you mentioned at the pillar I was at last night. I guess I cant be lazy but need to move around.
Damn Fish!!

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

There's a lot of bait stealers under the jetty, so you either have to keep a careful watch on your rod tip and re-bait your hooks consistently, or you use a very hardy bait.

Using small hooks can get you quite a variety of fish there, though most of them are small. The desirable ones are rabbitfish, yellowtails, scads and small trevallies. Those small shrimps (hae beow) are the best but you really need lots of patience with using them. Pieces of prawn meat are probably the easiest to get and use if you find the former troublesome. The above is more for day fishing.

For night fishing, you can use bigger hooks and bait to target for larger species. Live prawns, or Tua Baks (those night tambans) are good baits to use. You may get groupers, snapper and barramundi lurking under the jetty.

It is important to check your line regularly to see if the bait is gone. If you find that the bait is gone everytime you check it, you need to increase the frequency of checking. Be more vigilant during an hour before and after the turn of tide.

kyjelly
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by kyjelly »

Thank you Mr Peace.

I tried the pillar fishing today around dusk. I have heard before about the danger of snagging around the pillars. Sure enough, fished up a ball of old lines, seaweed, and 2 corals. Then the line snagged and broke.... Arrr so frustrating.

At night, what size hook do you recommend? If I do switch to live bait such as prawns, then I should switch up to cable car or LSBF right?
Damn Fish!!

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Yes, lots of lines and terminal tackles get piled up under and around the jetty with the non stop fishing activity there. So if you do hook up them up, throw them in the rubbish bin. It'll make a better place for the fish and the anglers.

For night fishing, I would use at least size 3/0 but it has to match the size of your bait too. If you're using live prawns, 2/0 or 3/0 is the max you should go if you want to keep them alive on the hook. If you're using whole squids or bait fish, 4/0 or 5/0 is good.

Live prawns aren't usually very effective at night since they're smaller and have less scent than squids or baitfish. It's a good choice if you're aiming for barramundi at night though. They typically hide just below the jetty so a simple apollo will do.

Icylines
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: jetty fishing, handline fishing, random fishing (literally)

Post by Icylines »

For night fishing live prawns with LSBF or tamban
Cable car don't use at night
In the day use super sharp size 10japanese hooks
Find the thinest possible and hook on pieces of prawn on a Apollo rig for smaller game like small parrots grouper snapper whiting etc
There are no tambans at night only tuabak or night tamban
Wheres my Fish?

kyjelly
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by kyjelly »

Thanks all for the useful advises.

Can suggest a good way to tie piece of prawn to a apollo rig? When I tie squid or octopus pieces, they seems to stay on fine. But my prawn kept on falling off. I tried pieces of thawed prawns with shells. I pierce the hook through the shells, but the meat just sloath away. Is it because its thawed so the meat is all soft and slushy. Fresh prawns would be better??
Damn Fish!!

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

The best way is to use fresh prawns, stale prawns are very sluggish however you use them. Use scissors or a knife to cut them if you need, not break them with your hands. If your hook is small, choose small prawns to cut from, it won't be the same as cutting from a big prawns even if you cut it down to the same size. Leaving the shell on helps it last for a little longer but peeling it off will be a lot more effective in attracting fishes. Don't expose the barb after putting on the prawn meat, it'll help slightly a little with it slipping off the hook when you cast or drop the line down. Lower the rig down gently whenever possible.

kyjelly
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by kyjelly »

Happy CNY Sifus. I caught 2 of these the other night. They were eating my prawn parts. I know they definitely not for eating. Are they any good for baiting?? I just threw them back into the sea.
Damn Fish!!

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

A happy new year to you too. :) These are bristleworms, you can sometimes see them swim near the surface as well. I seldom had good catches in their presence, I guess fish don't like them either. They're full of venomous spikes so I doubt it'll work out as a bait for the fishes.

kyjelly
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by kyjelly »

Thank you everyone for all your patience and suggestions. Finally I was able to land 2 marine catfishes.... Something decent other than tamban....

But got stung when cleaning them. Hurts like a MOTHER.... Good thing not deep and OK by now. Always learn something new everyday.
Damn Fish!!

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Good to know you're improving. :) It's a good idea to break the venomous spikes with a pair of pliers (two if you have) after landing the fish. Take care when handling any fish.