Handline Cord & Snubber setup on sailboat

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

jonelli
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Sailboat handline fishing

Handline Cord & Snubber setup on sailboat

Post by jonelli »

Hey All,
I'm new to ocean fishing. I've been doing a lot of research and believe the best solution on my sailboat is a handline with daisy chain teasers.

I've already built my daisychain using 50lb line and 5-6" squid teasers. Now I need to build a line that I can attach to the boat and troll.

I purchased some 100lb line and some 500lb polyester cord. I don't know the best way to rig the two of those two of those together and how much shock cord (bungee) I should use as a snubber.

Any advice?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Handline Cord & Snubber setup on sailboat

Post by Peace »

Hi jonelli, welcome to HLF. I've no experience in sailboating or trolling so I did some googling on what you're asking. I'm guessing you're basing your setup from this website. Your polyester cord should be used on the end that is used to attached your trolling rig to the boat with a karabiner and your 100lbs line as your main fishing line. For safety reason, you can have a slightly lighter line at your terminal tackle so that it will break at that end first should anything goes wrong. You don't want something to fly back at you when the line breaks.

As for the snubber, you have to test it out with your rig in the water to know for sure. You can get a few light bungee cord and adding them one a time till the bungee cord is lightly stretched at your typical trolling speed. Be sure to get bungee cord of considerable quality such that they don't degrade easily from fatigue strain and the weather.