Barred Soapfish

Yes, you can help us. If you know anything about the fish species in our water that may be useful to the fishing community, do chip in. Together we can help our fellow anglers understand their target and catch.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Barred Soapfish

Post by Peace »

jofrijon
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Handline Fishing, Reel Fishing

Re: Barred Soapfish

Post by jofrijon »

In the marine fishes, this fish is categorized as grouper... shouldnt be this fish category is cardinal fishes ?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

I agree that it may look more like a cardinalfishes rather than a grouper but it is really a subfamily(Actinopterygii>Perciforme>Serranidae>Grammistinae) of a groupers(Actinopterygii>Perciforme>Serranidae) from the scientific classification.

Also, this fish is actually edible according to a book I've read but I've not seen this been eaten or sold in markets locally. Many, as am I, would think that this fish is unedible due its bright and colourful appearance as well as the soapy mucus secreted from its body.

cooler
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Handline fishing,pole fishing,fly fishing and lure fishing.

Post by cooler »

I agree with peace! Most animals warn predators if they are poisonous or can hurt them by displaying beautiful color patterns! That is why food fish don't have bright color patterns!
Got to catch'em all! :D