Tamban

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Salty
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Tamban fishing

Tamban

Post by Salty »

Hi! may i know which is the best time to fish for tambans and which day

gohyuheng
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Re: Tamban

Post by gohyuheng »

They're usually more abundant in the mornings and evenings, and are more prone to bite during strong currents, though there are probably many other factors that affect Tamban feeding behavior.
I wanna catch a big fish~~~~

Salty
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Re: gohyuheng

Post by Salty »

How do i know when the current is strong. Im clueless in everything because im new to fishing

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

It's basically what yuheng said. Check out the surrounding anglers too, if you see the regulars jigging it's probably a good time to join in.

You can do a quick estimate of the current speed by lookng at the debris in the water, preferrably those just below the water surface and see how fast they're drifting away from you. Of course, the surest way is to lower your rig down into the water. If your line is vertical when it reaches the bottom, then there's no current. The faster the current the further away it will drift. For tamban fishing you need not use very heavy sinkers despite strong current because you should be short casting and retrieving it and the tambans are typically in mid water to near water surface.

Tidetable also can tell you whether the current will be fast on that day. Look out for days with very high tides(ie.3.0m) or very low tides(0.5m). Those days usually concide with days near full or new moon when the current will be strong. The tide table can be relatively accurate for gauging current along inshore, but it can be a totally different story if we're talking about offshore.

Manfred cher YY
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: into pier fishing, surf casting, jigging just started fishing not long ago. Can be found fishing at bedok Jetty, aspiring to land a queen fish and Barramundi

Post by Manfred cher YY »

Birds diving into the water is also a good sign

Icylines
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: jetty fishing, handline fishing, random fishing (literally)

Post by Icylines »

They now come to bedok jetty at the outgoing tide ususally, incoming tides usually only have a few. the faster and stonger the current, selar may come too but when there are selar the tambans will top biting
Wheres my Fish?

Salty
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by Salty »

Do i tie the weight below the tamban hook or above ?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

The weight is at the very bottom of the entire rig, you can also attach a fish-like reflector on the swivel above the hooks but it's not neccessary.

Manfred cher YY
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: into pier fishing, surf casting, jigging just started fishing not long ago. Can be found fishing at bedok Jetty, aspiring to land a queen fish and Barramundi

Post by Manfred cher YY »

usually it will come with a small swivel, u attach ur weight there and the loop u connect to ur own swivel connected to ur main line

GTonSteriods
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Lure fish,Handline,inshore

Post by GTonSteriods »

Catch tamban which hook size best ?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

I like to use size 6 for jigging bait fish on jetty. If you are jigging specifically for Tamban, you can use size 4-5.

GTonSteriods
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Lure fish,Handline,inshore

Post by GTonSteriods »

Wah , then i buy wrong liao , i bought size 8 instead

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Size 8 is still very usable, especially when there's a frenzy going on. It's also a safeguard against larger scads or occasional yellowtails.