Do you guys keep your leader?

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

desleyhan
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Offshore Fishing

Do you guys keep your leader?

Post by desleyhan »

I am still trying to make a perfect Paternoster Rig. To me, it is damn hard. So I wonder if you guys keep your leader/s after you fish?

I know one of my friends don't as it will rust the rest of the pack. It'll just cost me too much to either buy new ones or tying another perfect Paternoster.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Do you guys keep your leader?

Post by Peace »

Most rigs can be used many times provided if there's no severe damage to the line and hook. Even with no physical signs of damage, the leader line can degrade over time by sunlight and water contact. Physical inspection should be done before and after use; test the rig strength by pulling it(with care). Feel through the line with your fingers especially near the hook which is where abrasion occurs (from fish bite, snags or mishandling).

For rig care, you should rinse the rig in freshwater after use and let it to dry in air before keeping it back into the rig pouch. Most hooks will rust over time, so usually have to tie a new rig by then. You may also want to try stainless steel hooks if you're really bothered by the rusting.

If you don't want to do too much tying over time, you can consider using three way swivels to your Paternoster Rig to split it into smaller modules. That way, you can repair the part that needs replacement.

Above is an example of using three way swivel to divide the rig. Since part B is usually the one which wears out first, you only need to tie that portion instead of re-doing the whole rig. Using this method takes a little longer time initially but saves you time as you use it. However, if you're using it in a place where it snags often, then this is not a good choice.

desleyhan
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Offshore Fishing

Re: Do you guys keep your leader?

Post by desleyhan »

Peace wrote:Most rigs can be used many times provided if there's no severe damage to the line and hook. Even with no physical signs of damage, the leader line can degrade over time by sunlight and water contact. Physical inspection should be done before and after use; test the rig strength by pulling it(with care). Feel through the line with your fingers especially near the hook which is where abrasion occurs (from fish bite, snags or mishandling).

For rig care, you should rinse the rig in freshwater after use and let it to dry in air before keeping it back into the rig pouch. Most hooks will rust over time, so usually have to tie a new rig by then. You may also want to try stainless steel hooks if you're really bothered by the rusting.

If you don't want to do too much tying over time, you can consider using three way swivels to your Paternoster Rig to split it into smaller modules. That way, you can repair the part that needs replacement.

Above is an example of using three way swivel to divide the rig. Since part B is usually the one which wears out first, you only need to tie that portion instead of re-doing the whole rig. Using this method takes a little longer time initially but saves you time as you use it. However, if you're using it in a place where it snags often, then this is not a good choice.
Thanks alot Peace ... didn't know that there's a three way swivels to make things easier.