High tide

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

desleyhan
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Offshore Fishing

High tide

Post by desleyhan »

Checked the tide on the 20th Feb ... saw a 3.2 at noon ... thinking it should be a good high tide and decided to go fishing at the fish farm.

But Ahmad (the guy that's looking after the fish farm) says that the current is strong for fishing at fish farms.

I wonder if he's right. If so, would it be wiser to fish by the shores/jetties?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

What Ahmad says does make sense. I believe a lot of fish come near the fish farm to look for food like small fishes or farm fish food that gotten through the nets during feeding times.

A tide such as that on Feb 20th is a spring tide, that means the current must be very strong. Small fishes therefore must be hiding or avoiding current near shores or structures. Fish food dropping off from the farm is also drifted far away from the farm too.

Of course that doesn't mean no fish, just more likely you'll catch fast and strong swimming fishes. Small fishes like tambans and selars don't mind strong currents as they are good swimmers and stay together in groups; so are most pelagic fishes such as queenfish, mackerels and wolf herrings that hunt on them.

On a personal preference, I would do shore fishing during spring tides. Fishes are more likely come closer to the shore too feed or breed during these times.