Help on prawn fishing?

Interest group for crabbers and prawners alike.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

vignash
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Help on prawn fishing?

Post by vignash »

anyone can give me hints on it and what bait to use?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

I assume you're talking about prawning in pay ponds right? If so, the ponds should provide everything you need including the rod, line, float and bait. I've not done prawn fishing before myself so my advice is limited.

I did drop by the bottle tree park sometime back and saw quite a crowd there doing prawn fishing. I think the rate is ~14 dollars/hour if I'm not wrong. I can see a prawn being fished up every few minutes, looks pretty fun. :nod:

From what I observe, you need to move around a lot to search for the prawns. They usually hide along the wall. When they take the bait, wait a little before pulling the line up. Hope that helps. :)

Welcome to HLF, vignash :flower:

chanturtle
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Post by chanturtle »

if u want prawn fishing, punggol park will be the good choice... firstly it is free and u can get freshwater prawns and if u are lucky u can get a crayfish and there are rumours by those ah pek that are baby lobsters in the pond. simple size 2,3 prawn hook will be good and the best bait is doughbait. just add water to normal plain flour and u can get a doughbait. never try any flavours before but even plain doughbait can get u at least 7 - 8 prawns for a full 5 hours prawn fishing. sometimes u can get small silvery fishes using those bait too.
An Ordinary BoY FiSHiNG ALL RoUnD SiNGaPORe

vignash
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by vignash »

ok..but some people use a diff bait
they catch prawns faster than the bait given by the pay ponds
the bait they use a small fish.
any idea where i can get it or can tell me a better bait?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Not sure if it was a fish they used, but it looks frozen. I suggest you try earthworms, those very meaty ones. All freshwater prawns and crayfishes love earthworms. ;)

edit: these types of worms

domvonn
Line Mastery
Line Mastery

Post by domvonn »

some use see hum and chicken liver also ?
I am a predatory fish keeper/fisherman/photographer.:)

Antz69
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Antz69 »

Ya, agree with Peace. I tried a couple of times with all the baits, including fishcakes (this was provided free at Pasir Ris Pond). Worms seem to give me a better and faster hit rate. :nod:

My daughter also hooked on prawn fishing now and she insists... "Pa, use worms!" Ha Ha Ha... Kids :raincloud: :mischieve:
- Life is Like Fishing - You never know what you gonna catch, or whether you can catch anything at all! :-)

darren
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

prawn

Post by darren »

i try before using those lokang fish.had to cut it hit rate was quite good, but not all pay pond allow you to usethis bait. don know why also????

desleyhan
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Offshore Fishing

Post by desleyhan »

chanturtle wrote:if u want prawn fishing, punggol park will be the good choice... firstly it is free and u can get freshwater prawns and if u are lucky u can get a crayfish and there are rumours by those ah pek that are baby lobsters in the pond. simple size 2,3 prawn hook will be good and the best bait is doughbait. just add water to normal plain flour and u can get a doughbait. never try any flavours before but even plain doughbait can get u at least 7 - 8 prawns for a full 5 hours prawn fishing. sometimes u can get small silvery fishes using those bait too.
Hey chanturtle ... when we going fishing at Punggol Park? .. I live near there.. I want to learn how to fish in freshwater ..

PM me man ....

chanturtle
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Post by chanturtle »

i think i will be going this friday depending on the situation but if u want to learn u can always go down there and see those ah pek catch those prawns. there are like the experts of punggol park... haha. :nod:
An Ordinary BoY FiSHiNG ALL RoUnD SiNGaPORe

arsenal
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Re: consumer venerated participation

Post by arsenal »

Pierceamimb wrote:-Spam removed-
si ginna u are just a piece of ****!!!!
Edit: These bots are automated, so don't reply to them. :)

- Peace

James_Nor
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Newbie

Re: Help on prawn fishing?

Post by James_Nor »

i am good in prawning .. haha i use to go prawning alot but because it's too costly that why i stopped and change to fishing.. The BEST bait i tested is sea worm.. u can get it from the changi village at $2 per packet.. it allow u to have about 1-2 prawn every 5 min.. but make sure inside got prawn first la.. haha.. my record is caughting 22 prawn in 2 hour.

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Post by dBs™ »

James_Nor wrote: .... my record is caughting 22 prawn in 2 hour.
:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: 22 prawns in 2 hrs ...

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: every 8 mins you landed 1 prawn !

Can I be your friend ? :lol:

Always find prawning kinda interesting and fun but somehow I never get to bring myself to do prawning.
Cannot resist the thrill of the fish pulling ... pulling ... PULLING ! :yay:

James_Nor
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Newbie

Post by James_Nor »

haha we already friends le.. just nv se each other in person.. if u going for prawning. DONT even go paris ris there.. their service changed.. no longer the friendly uncle le.. now dont even have pile for u to wash/keep prawn. worse is if u want wash hand need to walk super far... nvm there dont allow u to cook the prawn anymore too. that !@!#$ stupid la. use to be soo nice to prawn there. now rating for there from me is 1 star out of 5.. :mad:

snatcher4free
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: pole fishing, prawing

Post by snatcher4free »

Hi.. I am a newbie who is interested in prawn fishing... can anyone tell me what kind of fishing rod is needed? do you need a very strong one or even DIY will do?