How true is it that if ...

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

desleyhan
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Offshore Fishing

How true is it that if ...

Post by desleyhan »

How true is it that if we keep hooking up Duris (Seng) then we're destined for only that species as there won't be other species around. One reason is that our leaders are slimmed with the Duris specimen and other fishes would not come around even if we had live baits.

And someone else told me that if you get Duris, then there'll be definitely be other species around.

I'm confused!! :shocked:

But I certainly don't wanna live by that myth.

stevenseow
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by stevenseow »

Once you caught a duri, you must change your leader cause there is a smell that other fish will not want to come near. Or at lease clean the slime off from the leader.

Once offshore at CNB and caught a duri there, after changing my leader I caught a Chermin at the same spot.

Hope I have answer your doubts. :)
Fishing Is For Relax

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Duris can often come in groups, and being in groups deters other fishes from getting too close to them. Also, the catfishes will have the upper hand grabbing for your bait first before other species of fish can.

So my take is that there can still be other fish around, just that the response can be too overwhelming from catfishes ;) I've personally caught other fishes when there are catfish schools around.

I'm not sure about the slime that gets attached to the fish, but it certainly looks distasteful :lol: I usually discard the leader once it gets that slime, unless I intend to clear the catfishes first.