Boat fishing for newbies

This is where we discuss about the current ongoings in the fishing community such as news, events or general fishing topics.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

teamilk
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: All types of fishing, Prawning

Boat fishing for newbies

Post by teamilk »

Hi all!
so quiet again..... ::x:

anyway, just last weekend, went boat fishing with 2 other friends and would like to share some photos and experience.

my friend passed me this blog about a guy organising short boat trips for beginners.
His rates are relatively cheap if you are a beginner looking to learn more about offshore fishing.
for newbies, i think it's a good experience and you can learn a lot from him (provided you ask him for tips)

http://learnboatfishing.blogspot.sg/

it's $50 per pax (for 3 - 4 ppl), with bait and equipment provided.
but it's only for 3 hours.
he's a very nice guy who is very willing to teach if you ask.
tip top service. sets up equipment for you, hooks bait for you, brings in the fish for you, etc etc. basically, you just have to go there with an open mind and learn. (of cos with $50 too :p )

the only not so good point is that...his setup is very light, and if kena biggies, high chances are the line gonna snap. (which happened to my friend) most of our catches are pretty small with almost 0 fight. but i think if you request to him that you want to go for biggie, he will arrange for you (cos i saw 1 or 2 boat rod setups)

anyway, here are the pics. (not many actually)
enjoy!
**i am not helping him to promote, but i think this is a good experience for beginners. comparing to pond fishing...$50 - $60 without bait and setup for 3 hours. this is definitely more worth it imo.**

in case my friends' dont want to show their faces, i edited the photos :p

this photo was taken after the trip, where we went to the side to continued fishing till night (0 bites :mad: )

we got total of 30 of this fish, and about 3 good size catfish.

took 1.5 hours to descale, take out the guts and clean up. shaggggg......

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Boat fishing for newbies

Post by Peace »

Thanks for sharing this boatman with us, Teamilk. It's definitely worth it if there are lessons and equipment provided, very suitable for first timers. But as we get more serious into boat fishing, 3 hours just doesn't cut it for many of us. :p Those Gelamas look pretty good size. :thumbsup:

Crab
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Prawning,off shore fishing

Post by Crab »

Hi teamilk,thanks for sharing.At least your catch is better than mine on 13th May at punggol jetty.Weather was hot but 0 catch.was planning to go for real fishing in july.Place at Rompin,but must save up first.If you are interested,perhaps we can organise one together.Cheers :)

teamilk
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: All types of fishing, Prawning

Post by teamilk »

thanks guys!

btw Crab, u organising a trip to Rompin in july? cool! I've always wanted to try fishing overseas! sg waters are starting to bore me a little. esp when fishing spots are getting lesser.
do contact me if you are really organising a trip. and if you need numbers, I can try asking a few friends, cos they were thinking of organising a fishing trip in Malaysia too, but till now not confirmed yet. 0.o

Crab
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by Crab »

e mail me at weiyangwee@yahoo.com.sg
its my first time there too.But from all the website from yahoo and google.It will cost us around $400 to 500.But if your friends have car,we can share the cost and that will bring the cost down.Actually,renting of boats there is cheap.Per boat cost about Rm 270 to 450 depending on the type.Still as this will be a two day fishing affair so lets start saving first.If our moderator like Peace can help with his contacts will be most ideal.
SG fishing is fun,but fishes are getting fewer and smaller.Sometimes with a boat of 10 only,get 7 fishes slipper size :(

Crab
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by Crab »

I cannot afford to go Maritius to catch marlin,however,catching sailfish in malaysia rompin will be my dream come true.Anyway,from my research,lots of Todak there,tenggeri,Dorado,cobia and red snapper plus the ocassional Chermin(boring....)you also can help by choosing the date to go.Check out the tides and weather.The moonson season will be over by then.In august there will be an annual sailfish competition so don't choose that period ok? Thanks :)