any suggestion for a Video camera ?

This is where we discuss about the current ongoings in the fishing community such as news, events or general fishing topics.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

BeachBum
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Lure fishing

any suggestion for a Video camera ?

Post by BeachBum »

I was looking at some you-tube fishing videos recently, and now I'm thinking of making some you-tube videos myself . I'll try to make some lures and record the process. I need suggestions of what video camera or devices is suitable, and where is a good place to get it without getting fleeced. Not looking for the top of the line Video cameras, just something that has clear images and not too ex. Thanks in advance.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: any suggestion for a Video camera ?

Post by Peace »

Is the camera going to be used solely for lure making process or do you want it to capture the fishing activity itself as well? If you need the latter, then you can only go for action cameras, which aren't exactly best for making tutorial videos. If it's just for recording lure making process, any modern cameras ie. webcam, smartphone cameras can do a reasonably good job with aided lighting indoors. What's your budget range?

BeachBum
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Post by BeachBum »

Mainly for lure making. Recently, seen some cyclists have a small square camera attached to the helmet. I supposed those are action cameras ? My budget is $500.

I've just asked a you-tube author what video camera he use and he said DSLR - Sony A77. This seems like a higher end camera in the $1400 range.

sgpu
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: luring, parking, bottom

Post by sgpu »

just to share.

actually having those gopro camera attached to helmet isn't exactly as what we imagined to be ideal.
because of the vibration effect from your physical actions, it affects the image stillness.
i tried attaching my gropro on my head before. does not exactly suit shore jigging because the action is vigorous.
but working on lures are generally fine.
indeed lighting is one factor to consider.
with $500 you can easily afford a gopro, with low light capability. try sourcing for 2nd hand?
gopro accessories are sold separately.

take care of lighting. any pocket camera with the help of tripod can do the trick. else, try using ipad in it's portrait position.
若要人不知, 除非己莫为

'tio bo'???

BeachBum
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Post by BeachBum »

I've just realized that my camera has a video function that may be usable. Previously, the videos taken were quite poor quality and I thought its video capability is limited. But after tweaking some settings, it actually got a HD setting, so I'll see if I can do up something. Battery seems to drain fast though.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

If I am not wrong, the camera you're currently using is FinePix XP50. That camera can definitely do what you need but it has its drawbacks. It can do 1080p30 which is pretty good for a start, so set video mode to the highest quality settings. Fuji cameras has always lacked in the video department, so I believe this camera has little to no control in your video mode. That is to say you can't have manual focus or focus lock or change your iso settings, everything is pretty much auto in video mode.

Taking video indoors or under low lightcan be a challenge to but there are ways ease the conditions.
- Try to video in a bright lited area, be it near natural light or use of artificial lighting. Keeping the area that is filmed bright will keep the camera from bumping up the ISO values which in turn will make your video very grainy. Also make sure most of the light source is coming from infront of the subject instead of from behind.
- Film against a clean background ie, one with little or no patterns so that the camera will have no chance of misfocusing on the background instead of your subject.
- Because shutter speed is rather low indoors, using a tripod can help a little with getting sharper frames. No one likes camera shakes too. If you're using a tripod, turn off the image stabilizer.

Try making a video and see how it turns out, post it here and share it with us. :)

@sgpu
Yeah, I know shake is a problem with wearable cams. Even just walking with it can give shaky video. Because action cameras are physically small, it's difficult to implement image stabilization system in it. As far as I know, only Sony action camera has digital image stabilization. It does take away some shake and vibration but it's nowhere near the image stabilization performance in digital still cameras. Also, I want to see some of your shaking jigging in action please. :p

xiaodhanan
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: lure and shore. mostly fw

Post by xiaodhanan »

heyy bro. get the sj4000 . its a cheaps man gopro. and the quality is really good for an action camera that price. i have one myself. its full hd 1080p. and it can use go pro accesories

sgpu
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: luring, parking, bottom

Post by sgpu »

@peace
Unfortunately, the few footages that i have were badly affected by my actions. I was always looking around for any surface commotion, low light as i hunt on most first light time of day.
若要人不知, 除非己莫为

'tio bo'???

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

I guess sometimes that cannot be helped, working your best to get the fish should be the priority. :nod: I've seen people attaching their action cameras on their chest, head and even shoulder. I still think head is the best since our neck absorbs some shakes from our walking, but chest and shoulder can give some pretty interesting angle of view too.