Pang sua canal

This is where we discuss about the current ongoings in the fishing community such as news, events or general fishing topics.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

murasame
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Extra Ultralight

Pang sua canal

Post by murasame »

I went down to pang sua canal legal ground to check it out today, was not expecting much so I packed a few small lures and some flies. I was surprised that the water was so clear and shallow, there were many small guppy-like fishes on the water surface. However, the water seemed too shallow for bigger fishes to live in. I put my rod on a bench and surveyed the area for any sizeable fishes. I was shocked to see a peacock bass, about 20~cm long, resting near the bank. I got damn excited because I had yet to catch a peacock bass since I started fishing so I quietly walked to grab my rod. However, when I got back to where I saw it, not less than 10 steps away, it was already gone! Were my eyes fooling me or was that really a PB? Does anyone have any experiences fishing in the canal?
Ps When I walked further down the canal, I saw a huge toman swimming near the bank, but I did not have my lure on as it had snapped off on a snag. There also were many ripples on the water surface, but when I casted around the area and did not get anything, I gave up and went home as it was way too hot. Do sizeable fishes really live in this canal?
Blur sotong :nod:

murasame
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Re: Pang sua canal

Post by murasame »

Also, anyone knows of a place where there are PBs??? I've been to LSR, Pandan Reservoir, Kranji Reservoir and Bedok Reservoir, but still haven't landed a single PB. Not even a single bite on my lure! Even tiny ultralight vibes and flies don't seem to work for me, not even fishing at night works. What am I doing wrong? Any other thing I can try?

Shadow Cat
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Universal

Post by Shadow Cat »

Hi bro,

Regarding Pang Sua Canal, yes there are pbs there but it depends heavily on water conditions. I lured there once and a school happened to pass by. Smaller ones attacked but never hookup. Saw some larger 2lbs follow my lure.

IMO LSR and BR are very productive, because the pbs are generally juveniles. U cant go wrong with spinfly at LSR so keep at it and u should eventually land one. BR u can aim passing schools as they come close to hunt, just try not to let them spot you. There are also schools of smallies that are super aggressive and would take almost every lure i throw, think u can try them out as it is super easy to get a fish on.

Screaming reels and tight lines!

Shadow Cat
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Universal

Post by Shadow Cat »

Oh yeah i feel that you should try going when the sun is out as peacocks rely mostly on sight and are thus more active in the day so....1st light luring. As with all legal spots you should not expect very large fish( i would say mostly 1lb and under) but fishing is pretty unpredictable(hooked up expected 5lb mono pb at LSR and 3lb temensis hybrid at BR, sadly all throw hook when i tryna land). Not really into PB anymore, more into Toman now lol.

murasame
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by murasame »

Thx! Im gonna work harder in BR and LSR haha
Maybe you should try the pang sua canal again? Walk further down from the legal area to the deeper waters, thats where I saw the toman and the many small rises, could be fry :D

nicholasccc
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: lure fishing

Post by nicholasccc »

Pang Sua Canal Fishing is depending on timing. the water is too shallow, mostly tilapia local known as "Japanese fish". In the World war 2. it is the food source. local people hate japanese at that time. Therefore, they give a name japanese Fish. (eat them)

Best time, to fish there is after the heavy rain. where the rain water washes the worm and insect into the water and they will wait at the junction of the connecting hunt for food.

Please use Bread as Bait, Sure catch.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Good info, thanks for sharing and welcome to HLF nicholasccc. :)

Limpeh
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Luring, Offshore, Ponding, Jigging

Post by Limpeh »

Where is this Pang Sua canal?

Commando_YR_Chin
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Surf Fishing, Jetty Fishing, Lure Fishing, Squid Fishing, Crabbing, Offshore Fishing.

Post by Commando_YR_Chin »

Fishing is #AWESOME!!! :thumbsup: :D :fish: :fish2:

Limpeh
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Luring, Offshore, Ponding, Jigging

Post by Limpeh »

thanks!

nicholasccc
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by nicholasccc »

Hi Guys,

It is me again. i have managed caught one Toman very small near to the deck which is near to the drain that joint to the canal after a 3 hours of haunting.

but too small... it is depend on the weather, temperature and vegetation coverage. (Weeds)...

https://photos.google.com/u/1/photo/AF1 ... orh6xQQleu

enjoy....

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Hmm, the picture seems to be blocked by a login. Anyway, a toman there is always a welcome catch. I have seen a few juvenile toman the last time I was there, as well as terrapins.

nicholasccc
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by nicholasccc »

Well, if you see toman, peacock, this mean water condition is good.

But your lure is not to their taste... you need to changes your lure.

For big toman, you need live bait will get them. They will go for the big fish. Your small lure will never get them only small one if you are luck.

Try some sliver or more action... for Peacock.

For toman, lure is hard to get more than 2kg. Half kg can use lure easily. Spinner, top water lure with more action of splashing water...

Using live fish as bait is proof immediate bite ... But fish there is smart.

Good luck...

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

I agree with you on most part, except that artificial lures can get big ones too. You just need bigger lures, especially those that thrashes water and makes a lot of noise or vibrations. Try those big woodchoppers, poppers or surface cruisers for big tomans. Live catfish is a very effective and popular bait for targeting large tomans but they seem pretty smart about it too, often they would just hang on to the catfish for a long while without swallowing it. So if you strike prematurely, the hook would not set.

nicholasccc
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by nicholasccc »

Any picture on bigger lure. Or size in how many cm is big?

The bigger toman I got so far is 1.3kg. With horny toad about 13cm.

Still trying my best to get the big fish in the canal.