Greedy grouper

This is where we discuss about the current ongoings in the fishing community such as news, events or general fishing topics.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

javiecholson188
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Greedy grouper

Post by javiecholson188 »

You know on that Chia Soon Kelong trip, We caught many groupers, and other fishes, so we just threw it into that net and put it into the water to live right? well most of the large groupers actually ATE other fishes that were in the net, as their stomachs were all very fat, and one actually threw up the fish in its stomach. :fish: we believed the fish it ate were the ones i caught, erm i forgot what it was but it looked like a mackeral or something like that >< small one lar. But when my mother 'prepared the large grouper, we found it it actually ate an ANG CHOR KEE! it was as large as my hand! surprise surprise :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Greedy grouper

Post by Peace »

Hi Javie, welcome to HLF. Yes, groupers can be very greedy and do take relatively large sizde prey. What is more interesting though, is that the groupers starts feeding after being caught. Usually, fishes landed will not resume feeding right away due to trauma, it can take up to a few days for them to recover and resume feeding but I would expect less from groupers. Another explanation is that the groupers are escapees from the Kelong itself, and was accustomed to living in enclosed netting and feeding habits.

I've been on fish farms and have toss hand sized croakers into the KBL nets, the fish took it in one gulp. Those KBLs are about 5-6kg though.

Limpeh
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Luring, Offshore, Ponding, Jigging

Re: Greedy grouper

Post by Limpeh »

Different species have different means to de-stress, like some of them de-stress by going shopping, exercise, etc. This one de-stress by eating... :D

This Chia Soon Kelong sounds good. How big were the groupers? Usually skeptical about kelong...