Ulu pandan tilapias

Share moments of you and your lovely pets here.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

gohyuheng
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Ulu pandan tilapias

Post by gohyuheng »

Won't be able to squeeze time in for fishing cause A levels are around the corner so i thought I'd share about my cute little cichlids caught from the ulu pandan canal :p

To be honest I'm not too sure what species they are, they change colors often, sometimes even turning from black to bright orange permanently :shocked: I've always thought the bright orange ones were of different species than the black ones.

Anyway I caught about 5 or 6 tiny ones of about 3 inches during June, and 1 bigger black one decided to start digging a nest. He was later joined by a bigger orange one, and together, they bullied all the others to corners of the tank :sweatdrop:

Here is the larger black one, he only became striped after starting on the nest ö

Here is the black and orange one together. Can't get too close or they'll hide back into their nest.

This morning, something very exciting happened. When I went to check on them, there were hundreds of fry swimming around! I didn't even think that mama and papa tilapias would have been big enough to have babies. They're barely 4 inches long!

Here is mama tilapia with all her tiny fry!
Mama tilapia will swim around and collect the fry in her mouth, throwing them back into the nest, but they always end up swimming out again soon :p
Papa tilapia is shy and barely comes out of the nest at all.
I wanna catch a big fish~~~~

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Ulu pandan tilapias

Post by Peace »

Cool, I didn't know they can change their colour this drastically as well. Congrats on the little babies, you'll soon have a tank of colourful cichlids to keep your entertained till your A levels is over. ;) Keep them healthy!

BeachBum
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Lure fishing

Post by BeachBum »

It is not red tilapia I think is Red devil cichlid. The male look like midas cichlid with stripe. I edited this reply.

gohyuheng
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by gohyuheng »

BeachBum wrote:It is not red tilapia I think is Red devil cichlid. The male look like midas cichlid with stripe. I edited this reply.
I think you may be right! Google results of red devil cichlids did show some that looked exactly like the ones I had. However, both fishes don't have the bumps on their head.

Also, when I searched red devil cichlids, some black coloured ones showed up that looked exactly like my black male. Could he be a red devil cichlid too?
I wanna catch a big fish~~~~

BeachBum
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Lure fishing

Post by BeachBum »

Do show more pictures of your fishes. Only two adult fish in the tank or are there more ? Cichlids are relatively easy to hybridise. Sometimes there may be some hybrids of louhan, mayan cichlid.

actually, your third picture seems to show an orange Severum. It could be the angle of the fish in the picture.