new to crabbing.

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

xiaodhanan
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: lure and shore. mostly fw

new to crabbing.

Post by xiaodhanan »

hi there. i just bought two crab nets. they are noy the square ones but the semi circle ones. i know that we have to use the fish head as bait. any tips would be grateful :)

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Re: new to crabbing.

Post by ilurbtambans »

hi xiaodhanan! what kind of crabs are you looking to catch? mud crabs or flower crabs? the oval shaped cage is a good choice, among all the traps its frame is sturdy and can easily be thrown, once the crab goes in it cant come out unless they are small
take a look at this crabbing guide created by me and alibaba( my sifu)! http://handlinefishing.com/howtofish/gu ... bingguide/
To start crabbing, here is a list of items that you 'MUST HAVE'

1.cages( cant catch anything without them unless your an ah lau! :P)

2. rope( get some rope for tieing to your cages, avoid thin ropes as it will cause abrasion on your hands)

3. baits, any cheap fish will do. take a look at my post on buying baits! viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4754

4. metal wires(to secure your bait to the base of the cage so that the crabs dont get a free meal)

5. air pump(optional) only if you are catching flower crabs, they have to be submerged in the seawater with an air pump to survive

6. a pail or container to hold your catches

In singapore we have 2 kinds of crabs that are highly sought after, the flower crabs, and the mud crabs

you can catch flower crabs from sembawang, i believe that there are other places that you can catch them but that is the only place i know
As for mud crabs, mud crabs live in the mangroves. so you should know where to look next! but not sungei buloh and chek jawa!

one last thing, always plan your crabbing sessions in advance so that you can catch the incoming tide, that is when the crabs start to feed. look out for days where there is a big difference in the tide eg 0.3-3.1, 1.2-2.8, 0.4-3.2.

i hope this helps you in your future crabbing! cheers!

xiaodhanan
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: lure and shore. mostly fw

Re: new to crabbing.

Post by xiaodhanan »

omg thank you so much for the help ! thank you thank you ! :-D !!