Offshore jigging at night?

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Fishhunt
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Offshore jigging at night?

Post by Fishhunt »

It's one of the many questions that bothers me, a quick Google search revealed to me that it might be possible. Any advice on this or has anyone tried that before? Preferably madai jigging or slow pitched. At the same time, is tenya possible at night too? Thanks and appreciate all advice.

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Re: Offshore jigging at night?

Post by ilurbtambans »

I have heard of few people using those glow in the dark jigs at night with great success, however i have never personally tried it before. You tend to get bigger fishes at night too! So you gotta prepare a set of heavier gears :P

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Good question, but I don't have enough night fishing experience to give a firm answer. I suppose fish might depend more on scent at night since they can't see as well as in the day. My guess is that makes slow fall jigs less effective even though it can still attract fish with its vibrations.

Night fishing boats will usually be anchored for safety reasons, it will make madais less effective unless you cast it out and do a slow retrieve back. Even so, the lack of light will make it difficult for fish to home in on the madai. But if your madai hook is baited, that's another story. Tenya should work too, but the size of bait is rather important at night. Big baits are usually preferred for night fishing, and live prawns doesn't work well at night.

That said, I would be interested to try them if I get the chance. I believe fish like barracuda and cobias will take jigs at night.

gohyuheng
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by gohyuheng »

Unrelated question, but may I ask why live prawns aren't effective at night? What kind of baits would work better at night?
I wanna catch a big fish~~~~

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

I believe it's due to the size of the prawn that makes it inconspicuous in the night. Live or fresh squids on the other hand, are bigger and have light reflecting cells that make them more visible. Squids are probably have stronger scent as well.

Fishhunt
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by Fishhunt »

Ahh, I see, thanks for the feedback guys. Well guess you have to try it yourself to really know right?

Oh and yes I do agree, for night fishing bait, it's squid hands down for me. And another great bait for offshore night fishing would be small palm sized fishes you get with sabikis while you fish like those silver biddies or jarbua terapons. Always had luck on them at night landing groupers and Cobias with a simple knocker rig.

May post a CR if I have luck on them jigs.

GTonSteriods
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Lure fish,Handline,inshore

Post by GTonSteriods »

just being curious , why does Night fishing boats are being anchored at night ?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Mostly for safety reasons. Incoming boats, especially those huge container ships can miss spotting a small boat in the dark even with their radar system. It may sound absurd but night boaters can easily miss big ships passing too close to them till its too late. These ships are very tall and most of the lights are way on top, and you will only realize their presence when you hear the engine noise and water turbulence caused by the ship.

This is why boaters should steer clear from fairways in the night. And it's also very important that the captain keep watch on the surrounding, or have someone taking turns to do so. I've been to night trips whereby the captain and soundly sleep through the night. That thought alone kept me awake throughout. :sweatdrop:

So anchoring prevents you from drifting off to places where it could be dangerous, but the other reason is that most night fishing are focused on structure spots like wrecks and waiting for the precise time where the fish becomes active.