Tips?

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Commando_YR_Chin
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Surf Fishing, Jetty Fishing, Lure Fishing, Squid Fishing, Crabbing, Offshore Fishing.

Tips?

Post by Commando_YR_Chin »

Hi guys im going for my first Offshore to Southern Islands on the Spanish Dancer tommorrow... any tips pls? :)
Fishing is #AWESOME!!! :thumbsup: :D :fish: :fish2:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Tips?

Post by Peace »

It's probably a little late for a reply, but if it's your first offshore trip, you might one to try using madai, tenya or Apollo rigs. Good thing is the current today should be slack, so you won't need very heavy weights to touch the sea bed.

Just some simple things to keep in mind; you want to periodically be touching bottom and check that you still have bait on the hook. Don't take your time to get to your rod whenever the boat gets to a new spot. At the same time, don't be too hasty to drop your line when the boat is stopping. It takes some time for the boat to orientate itself to the wind and current after the boat stops. In most cases, you want to be fishing on the side facing the wind.

Good luck on your trip!

Limpeh
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Luring, Offshore, Ponding, Jigging

Post by Limpeh »

How's the CR on Spanish Dancer?

I was with them couple of months back. Big and spacious boat, but they usually hold many anglers... Current was super strong, i only manage to get a palm size grouper that i released. One malay guy onboard caught a approx 20kg grouper thou... in total, whole boat caught less than 5 i think.

What Peace advised was what i learnt the hard way after the 1st few trips...

Commando_YR_Chin
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Surf Fishing, Jetty Fishing, Lure Fishing, Squid Fishing, Crabbing, Offshore Fishing.

the catch report on spanish dancer that day was quite good lots of other ppl pulled up good sized parrot fish and groupers and i got 2 plate sized spanish flag snappers... can go check their fb post for photos... :)

Commando_YR_Chin
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

back to surfcasting now... may be going changi next wed with a buddy :)