Gong Xi Fa Cai! Q: Different period of the Year?

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Limpeh
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Luring, Offshore, Ponding, Jigging

Gong Xi Fa Cai! Q: Different period of the Year?

Post by Limpeh »

Happy Lunar New Year to all!

Wish everyone best of health and wealth!

Was looking at some local offshore CR and seems like it's having strong wind and current for few months. I also remember hearing people saying it's Gao's season, dunno what other fish season, etc.

Just wondering if there's a guide some where on this? Reasonable estimation will do:
- When is the monsoon season? Start-End
- When is Gao season?
- is there a Kim's season?

Any of periodic season or weather thingy can be added here will be helpful.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Gong Xi Fa Cai! Q: Different period of the Year?

Post by Peace »

A prosperous new year to you too. :champagne:

Not all species have seasons, or at least some aren't as noticeable. The surge in fishes or fish species probably comes from 'outer region' brought in by the monsoon current. The northeast monsoon typical starts from around November to March, it's technically a good period to fish but the monsoon winds causes rough sea and bring lots of rain.

As for the grouper season, many boatman believed that these large groupers come in to spawn. Other fishes follow their food source as they move, it is said that the Chermin follows 'Ang Kar Hae' (红脚虾) season. I'm not too sure about KBLs though, the local population seems to sustain relatively well and the existence of fish farm and periodic mass release from religious groups seems to keep this species replenished.

Limpeh
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Luring, Offshore, Ponding, Jigging

Post by Limpeh »

Thanks Peace.

Guess the fish farm is pretty critical to maintain certain population of the fishes here in our waters.

What's with the mass release from the religious groups? This is new to me. What religious and release what fish? I've heard release of tortoise and birds only. lol

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

It's usually the buddhist groups who practise this fish release. They will buy the fish from the fish farm and release it into the sea, sometimes from shore and other times they will transport the fishes by boat to the middle of the sea to release them. Aside from that, nets in the fish farm do suffer wear and tear and fishes do escape and make their way into the natural habitat.

Frankly, this shouldn't be the way to replenish fish stocks can introduce many problems to local ecology and other marine life.

Commando_YR_Chin
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Surf Fishing, Jetty Fishing, Lure Fishing, Squid Fishing, Crabbing, Offshore Fishing.

Post by Commando_YR_Chin »

Um just a heads up, I yesterday go jalan jalan at changi beach, around 6pm, got lots of kbl near shore, 1 guy use kayak and net, get 8 plate sized kbl in net. Another guy walked out till chest/waist deep, cast a net and got kbl. Also have 2 photos of kbl near shore... Now I think kbl "season"... Gonna try my luck later tonight... :) 😊
And Happy Chinese New Year to all of you! :beer:

(One more thing: I asked a couple of regulars around there they said earlier in the day someone caught a big threadfin at the "tip"... Unconfirmed since I didn't get to see with my own eyes, but I think its true...)
Last edited by Commando_YR_Chin on Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:04 am, edited 6 times in total.
Fishing is #AWESOME!!! :thumbsup: :D :fish: :fish2:

Commando_YR_Chin
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Surf Fishing, Jetty Fishing, Lure Fishing, Squid Fishing, Crabbing, Offshore Fishing.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Commando_YR_Chin wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:47 am
It does look like KBL 'season', thanks for the heads up! :D

Commando_YR_Chin
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

I got back from changi from that night, I gonna post catch report, can someone help me check is the picture thunder crab or other crab? Thanks ah! :)