Sedili Catch Report

Catches from out the sea like boat fishing, kayaks and kelongs.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

stout infantfish
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Net fishing

Sedili Catch Report

Post by stout infantfish »

Just got back today evening. Whew am I tired. Was with my group of fishing buddies in sedili on 2nd (Monday) till 3rd (Tuesday).Here goes my long winded story which I want to post it here instead of fishing kaki(no offence to kaki website)
Eight of us started out from Singapore to Malaysia on 11pm Sunday. After meeting up in JB, we proceeded to sedili. With high spirits as this trip has been planned for month, we stop by mid way to buy prawns. And guess what......Bummer. Live bait shop was closed. WAAA....my heart fell. There goes my chermin as that fish only eat live prawns. Well, one of my buddies said that its ok as sedili do sell things like snacks and drinks, so as not to damper our spirits, we continued with our journey. Upon reaching Sedli around 2.15am. WAAA.... shop all closed. Cannot buy extra food and drinks (perhaps due to shop celebrating extended Malaysia national day. Arghh... More over tide was low, we were wondering how could we transport our barang barang to the boat and also could we leave on time at 3am. Luckily, our boatman managed to scrap by the jetty and all was well. After about 2 hours to 3 hours journey, we reached our first destination. So its time for bait fishing which was my speciality. Jigging for bait fish started out so-so, fish like kembong and whiptail etc etc... However, this only lasted 10 mins as all the fish seems not to be eating. What a spoil sport as I seen YouTube that one can get lots of bait fish (Don't be fool by YouTube as everything see are always the best footage video)
Well catch that afternoon wasn't good at all. Baby groupers and baby fish.So much for reading neap tides moon and moon phase which stated fishing will be good today. Well, mine Halcon LaserPro (supposed to be use for trolling) made the biggest catch that afternoon.You will never know what my newly bought lure at Sabre Tackle caught. Sigh...."Ho ****", "Ho ****" cried out by one of my buddies(pardon my language but that was exactly what he said.Man I was shocked to see my Lure Treble hooks pierced into his hands. Ouch. That's gotta be bad. Why so unlucky? :( Didn't I hand the hooks on top of the boat netting so as to prevent accident like that? I guess things like this was fated. My friend reza got cold feet when I suggested he help my injured friend to remove the treble hooks. I was at my wits, yes, i seen it at YouTube one crazy guy showing how to remove hooks the best way when he put in hooks into his arms and feet (M18) said that the best way is to yank it out with a fishing string.I gave my 5 cents worth but my other friend reza suggested otherwise (cut the skin).But my friend is already in pain and you ask me to cut his skin with a penknife? Wouldn't that cause more pain and damaged to the tissue? Well, my training at YouTube got thrown out of the box. He suggest me to cut out the hooks and would not bear to see his friend get hurt more. Poor me, as all my other buddies wouldn't take up this challenged. I have to do it as I have no choice. Cleaning the wound was the easy part, but when I sliced the skin gently, my injured friend was screaming in pain. Bad Idea Reza, bad idea(if you happen to read this Blog) What lousy idea of alternative method as the barb of the hook is still in and we are opening up another one. Whew..
To cut the story short as some guys reading this might be yawning I yank it out with a fishing string. Glad that part was over. :)
Finally we carry on our fishing,fishing was poor until evening when we some of my buddies stop fishing and start squidding (how ironic). Well, that was the best move that time ( At 5.30pm ?) out of a sudden, sotong was continuously brought up non stop, well I'll be ! I am amazed that I can even catch squid using my sabiki jig by foul hooking. Sick as it might sound yet unprofessional, at that point of time I really do not care as so long (Bo he ha ma ho) translate from Hokkien no fish prawn also boleh. Yes I was jigging, yeah I was desperate to get something after a bad day catch. My concept at the point of time was to catch whatever small fish I could to make up for the short fall. Stupid isn't it? Come all the way from Malaysia to jig small fish like selar whereby you can do it at Bedok jetty. Contine part 2 if there is demand for my story. I am already tired. Thanks for reading and if I have any spelling mistake please do forgive me as I did not proof read whatever has been typed. Goodnight for now :fish:

stout infantfish
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Re: Sedili Catch Report

Me with my 4th sotong catch. Notice the back ground as its still as bright as day (read blog to see what time that is)

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

That's quite a story there! I have a friend who went fishing at Sedili last month and the catch wasn't very good either, they too hit lots of squids instead. When it was good, they expect schools of tenggirri. I dread the day when I have to remove a hook from someone, especially a big one. If you have a pair of strong pliers, cut off barb end of the hook if it's possible. Tearing the wound can be very painful and cause infection, especially if you need a long time to get to professional medical care.

The catch doesn't seem all that bad but I suppose many of us has better expectation on Malaysia waters. Good job in landing all that fishes and squids despite the adversity. I'd love to hear more about your trip. :)

stout infantfish
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Thanks Peace, anyway, the second day I got sea sick, it was raining heavily about 3 to 5am and the sea got choppy,luckily I have my motion sickness pills with me and after taking it was back to normal. As it was the D day for the return trip,I woke up early to jig for small fish that I can bring home.I was surprise when suddenly my rod become heavy. Could it be 5 selar or kembong in a row? Well, I did not expect much and continue reeling with my penn battle 6000. Out came a Grouper with a selar fish. I could not believe that a sabki size 12 can get a grouper close to 30cm in length. Ha ha,man was I elated. From then onwards, motivation pick up and when my fishing buddies see that the fishes is back, they all got back to action in full force .That's how we all managed to get all the fishes and squid.Oh yes,forgot to mention to you that foul hook up can also get you squid (my first in my record).I got a recording of my trolling but its not up to standard. Too shy to post it here.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

It might surprise many people the type of fishes that sabiki jigs can catch. Usually those uncommon catches are triggered by the feeding frenzy of your usual catches, other times they're actually trying to eat the fish that was caught on your sabiki hooks. Squids are curious but also cautious, many times they will follow closely behind your jigs or bait while hestitating to take them. When the squids are plentiful like you have that day, they tend to be more competitive and less cautious. I suppose that's why it's easier to foul hook them by jigging. Did you get anything from trolling, I wouldn't mind seeing how you did it.

stout infantfish
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Caught nothing this time when trolling. Guess, I will still need to fine tune my techniques even more. Sad to hear from so many fishing shops in singapore that trolling is a passé. Yes, its an expensive but you tend to learn lots more things with different equipment like witchdoctors, daisy chains ,bird teasers, downrigger setting, outrigger, prop wash etc...
Tying of baits using live hooks is also very challenging as some will need wires/lines to secure the even more. Oh yes, to those newcomers like me at trolling. One tip of advice is that when using a heavy multiplier, please use a full harness as the normal gimble belt would not suffice.It does takes a considerable strength just to winch up the the reel :)

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Jigging is getting more popular each year and is overshadowing other fishing techniques. I suppose it's more 'sporty' with its active style of fishing. :p