Weight On Seabed

For shore anglers casting far out into the sea.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Crabbing,Inshore,Jetty and Pond Fishing...

Weight On Seabed

Post by Newguy »

I have been fishing for abt 9mth now and my favourite spot was West Coast Park Beach.... I was wandering if u bros have any tips on letting loose weight that got stuck on the rock w/o losing them...

Help me pls?????
Sorry to confuse u coz I'm still new to this sport...

sgpu
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: luring, parking, bottom

Re: Weight On Seabed

Post by sgpu »

how do you know its the weight that is stucked?
not hook?
not swivel?

shall we discuss?
若要人不知, 除非己莫为

'tio bo'???

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Hi Newguy, welcome to HLF. With regards to sinkers snagging it depends on how far you need to cast. If casting distance is not too critical, you can consider using split shots as they sink slowly and won't often snag. If a sinker is already snagged, there's pretty much nothing you can do. I would loose the line a little and start striking the rod a few times to see if it would come out.

Other anglers use those small plastic bags for chilli and fill them with sand or rocks to use as weights. It doesn't really make it less likely to snag but it's less costly if it does. Do not that it also means the plastic bag will be stuck in the sea.

Using heavier lines help as well, sometimes it's the hook that gets stuck and you need considerable force to straighten the hook and free the entire rig.

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Crabbing,Inshore,Jetty and Pond Fishing...

Post by Newguy »

Okie thanks.... I usually tie a rubber band on the weight and still sometimes got stuck... btw im goin kranji tomorrow morning @ 8am do u have any tips....
Sorry to confuse u coz I'm still new to this sport...

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Rubber band isn't going to save your sinkers, infact it's going to lose you more sinkers unless you're using a substitute. Rubber bands however does save your rig (hook and line).

You're referring to the saltwater side of Kranji right? The tide is pretty low in the morning, you'll be seeing one whole stretch of mud plains.