Advice on surf casting needed!

For shore anglers casting far out into the sea.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

ZhengQin
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: More to Surf and shore fishing.. but still a noob! :(

Advice on surf casting needed!

Post by ZhengQin »

Hi bros ;)

Recently snapped my surecatch rod.. so now getting myself an okuma tundra 13ft rod.. Have a few questions for surfcasting :

1. Is my shimano sienna 4000 enough? I loaded it with 20lbs mono 0.35mm, my sienna ratings is 12lb-160yds, I scared not enough for surf..

2. For the lines, Isit mainline -> Shockleader -> Rig? If it is, what will be the total length of shockleader and rig? or can the shock leader be the rig main body?

3. Is breakaway clips needed for apollo 3 hook rig needed? Oh and will hook size lets say, 6 is good enough for punggol area? student can't go too far :|

That's all for now.. thankiew :D :D

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Advice on surf casting needed!

Post by Peace »

ZhengQin wrote:1. Is my shimano sienna 4000 enough? I loaded it with 20lbs mono 0.35mm, my sienna ratings is 12lb-160yds, I scared not enough for surf..
It would be sufficient if you're using braided lines, but at 0.35mm it's probably not enough for biggies that like to run.
ZhengQin wrote:2. For the lines, Isit mainline -> Shockleader -> Rig? If it is, what will be the total length of shockleader and rig? or can the shock leader be the rig main body?
The general recommended shockleader length is twice the length of your surf rod. It's not a good idea to use the shockleader for terminal rig as the rig itself is subjected to much more abrasion than the shockleader should. You'll also end up having to trim your shock leader more often because of that.
ZhengQin wrote:3. Is breakaway clips needed for apollo 3 hook rig needed? Oh and will hook size lets say, 6 is good enough for punggol area? student can't go too far :|
I wouldn't use that on apollo rig as they have short branch lines to begin with. Apollo rig is one of the easiest rig to cast as the casting weight is all the way at the bottom. So you don't have to cast that hard as compared to when using lsbf rig to achieve that same distance. Less casting force will also let live baits last longer or from tearing off your hook when casting.

I'm not quite sure of the exact size of hook you're using as it can differ from brand to brand. What sort of fish are you targeting and what kind of bait are you using?