popper,lures and jig

For enthusiasts using artificial lures.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Geraud
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Re: popper,lures and jig

Post by Geraud »

Chatellany wrote:Take note of the weight first before u decide on the size. On lure rods are stated the suggested weight the rod can take. Most rods can take from generally 7-20g. Too light you won't feel the weight of the lure when casting, too heavy it will be harsh on ur rod. Different. Lures have different lengths so it depends on wad u buy.

Are you able to recommend me any lure rods? What's the difference between lure rods and normal ones?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Luring rods don't differ much from 'normal rods'. Basic characteristics you want is to be long enough to cast the lure to where you want and light enough for you to hold for long period of time. If you're using mainly crankbaits, I suggest using medium action rods that aren't too stiff. Power and line rating much depends on the size of lure you want to use. What is your budget for the rod?

Geraud
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Geraud »

Peace wrote:Luring rods don't differ much from 'normal rods'. Basic characteristics you want is to be long enough to cast the lure to where you want and light enough for you to hold for long period of time. If you're using mainly crankbaits, I suggest using medium action rods that aren't too stiff. Power and line rating much depends on the size of lure you want to use. What is your budget for the rod?
Lets say my budget would be less than $100 cause I'm just starting to learn luring. So it's better to get medium action rods?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Hmm...Eupro Salty Chief seems to fit the bill but it's a pretty stiff rod as it uses im8 graphite. For $70 dollars, you get Fuji reel seat and alconite guides, pretty worth the money. Or you can get Expert Graphite Carbon Cube or Fenwick GT eagle, they're slightly over a $100 dollars. Medium action isn't a must but good to have in my opinion. You should hear what other users advise and recommend as well.

Chatellany
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Learning luring and getting into surfcasting.

Post by Chatellany »

Sorry peace but I think eupro salty chief can be quite an overkill and will serve better fishing in fw3 / bottle tree park. I would suggest eupro twincraft for a start. Im just not too sure bout the price though. Crony aGress series is $96 at fishingbuddy it's good too.
Normally ppl buy lure rods 4-6.5ft.

If u are going to ask bout reel, a size 500 -1500 will suffice.

If u are buying ur lures soon go to daiso, buy each of the different hard bodied lures u see and go play play, notice the shape and movement of the lures so as to get a better idea.

Geraud
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Geraud »

Chatellany wrote:Sorry peace but I think eupro salty chief can be quite an overkill and will serve better fishing in fw3 / bottle tree park. I would suggest eupro twincraft for a start. Im just not too sure bout the price though. Crony aGress series is $96 at fishingbuddy it's good too.
Normally ppl buy lure rods 4-6.5ft.

If u are going to ask bout reel, a size 500 -1500 will suffice.

If u are buying ur lures soon go to daiso, buy each of the different hard bodied lures u see and go play play, notice the shape and movement of the lures so as to get a better idea.
Is crony aggress a medium action rod? Looks like i have alot to learn from luring,not as easy as i thought!

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

It really depends where he will be fishing and the size of fish he is targeting, if it's pond fishing I would agree it can be an overkill. Since he's asking about deep diver, I figure he may not want to use that for pond and requires something a little heavy in power that you can pull away from snaggy areas fast. The lighter salty chief is rated 8-15lbs I think, that ain't really too much of an overkill in my opinion.

Crony aggress should be of medium action, the reason for recommending a medium action for crankbaits is such that when the fish bites, it won't be provide too much resistance or too hard that can affect hookup rates. Infact, a softer rod will be better at this. For length wise, I would stay at a recommend a minimum of 6ft unless fishing in a pond.

No worries Chatellany, you give better advices than I can especially when it comes to luring. :)

noobANGLER
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: lure fishing and handline fishing and squid fishing

Post by noobANGLER »

Geraud wrote:Thanks for the explanation. I would like to try it soon. What do you suggest for beginners?
You can try on technic bull dog popper.I bought one also.1 for like $5 like that.

If you wan to use lures,i suggest u buy surebite lures.

And jigs,up to u,whether u wan angler's pal or surecatch.

Geraud
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Geraud »

Hmmmm,i shall go shopping for my new lure rod sooon! Thanks for everybody help! :)

Geraud
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Geraud »

Is crony Gundog S802M good enough for a beginner like me?

Chatellany
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Learning luring and getting into surfcasting.

Post by Chatellany »

if i were u i'll choose the shorter gundog which is the 602M. 6 ft is ok already try not to go more than 6.6.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Don't go too long unless you absolutely need to hit a certain distance with your lures. While long rod can hit greater distance, it will also put more strain on your wrist while luring. That model of rod is otherwise fine.

BeachBum
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Lure fishing

Post by BeachBum »

Longer rods generally can use bigger poppers, pop for toman.

sgpu
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: luring, parking, bottom

Post by sgpu »

where do you intend to go luring? freshwater? saltwater?

recently i bought some strike pro propeller pop. $9 each. rust after usage with salt water.
so most stated fresh water lures aren't suitable for SALT water.

everything you use has to match. don expect a 5.5g maria fake bait to go distance with heavy poundage line say 30lbs
i can recommend maria fake bait becuase i landed salt water fish and fresh water fish. hee hee pretty affordable $10 from sabre tackle
若要人不知, 除非己莫为

'tio bo'???

poptiger
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: lure fishing,surf fishing,handline fishing

Post by poptiger »

yeah but i only use poptiger three brother :) their are the best for me
never miss before