Moderator: Handlinefishing

patrick2405
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: freshwater fishing and occasionally sea fishing
ask me anything about freshwater fishing and i will try to answer them :D

Re: Spin Fly for Tilapia

Post by patrick2405 »

Peace wrote:The beads are threaded directly onto the hook shank so it won't come off. I've yet to find those large shiny beads. Nice catch again, ping.
hmm so am i right to say that after threading the beads you tie a section of line/ snell below it to hold it in place? if yes, can i make an "upscaled" version using bigger hooks and bigger equipment to target bigger fish?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

I'm not exactly sure how ping does it, but I suppose one would do it that way. The knot will essentially hold the feather/furs as well.

ping
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Spin Fly

Post by ping »

Thanks peace, these fish were caught from the same spot, was very surprised to find variety of cichlids there. Hope to see your tilapia CR soon.

ping
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by ping »

patrick2405 wrote:hmm so am i right to say that after threading the beads you tie a section of line/ snell below it to hold it in place? if yes, can i make an "upscaled" version using bigger hooks and bigger equipment to target bigger fish?
Yes, you can make a bead fly on bigger hook, the biggest bead fly I'd tied was on hook size 1/0. After assembling the beads onto a hook, you will need to secure the last bead using tying thread with a couple of turns before adding on the fur, whip finish and add some nail polish or super glue on the knot to complete. May I know what species you targeting? and which hook size you plan to tie a bead fly on?

patrick2405
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by patrick2405 »

ping wrote:
patrick2405 wrote:hmm so am i right to say that after threading the beads you tie a section of line/ snell below it to hold it in place? if yes, can i make an "upscaled" version using bigger hooks and bigger equipment to target bigger fish?
Yes, you can make a bead fly on bigger hook, the biggest bead fly I'd tied was on hook size 1/0. After assembling the beads onto a hook, you will need to secure the last bead using tying thread with a couple of turns before adding on the fur, whip finish and add some nail polish or super glue on the knot to complete. May I know what species you targeting? and which hook size you plan to tie a bead fly on?
hmm but still using UL setup? and how do you tie the hook onto your main line? was thinking of aiming PBs and maybe also test at paypond :eyebrow:

ping
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by ping »

patrick2405 wrote:hmm but still using UL setup? and how do you tie the hook onto your main line? was thinking of aiming PBs and maybe also test at paypond :eyebrow:
Shouldn't be a problem, i am using an UL setup for my spin fly sessions with flies ranging from hook size 6 to 1/0. Never tried paypond though, you may want to use a higher setup for that.

patrick2405
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by patrick2405 »

ping wrote:
patrick2405 wrote:hmm but still using UL setup? and how do you tie the hook onto your main line? was thinking of aiming PBs and maybe also test at paypond :eyebrow:
Shouldn't be a problem, i am using an UL setup for my spin fly sessions with flies ranging from hook size 6 to 1/0. Never tried paypond though, you may want to use a higher setup for that.
i was just asking if i have to use UL setup cos i scared hook itself too light to cast out lol.... i thought of maybe trying for PBs what fly should i get?

ping
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by ping »

patrick2405 wrote:i was just asking if i have to use UL setup cos i scared hook itself too light to cast out lol.... i thought of maybe trying for PBs what fly should i get?
ic ic.. guess you're new to spinning flies, you'll need to add a small weight (e.g. ball sinker or split shot) before you can actually cast out a fly far. Some anglers use BC setup to do spin fly too. This small fly for Tilapias will also work for getting PBs, PBs would whack most of the fly patterns available like Clouser Minnow, Crazy charlies, Streamer and even a few strands of shredded raffia string works. I ever landed a PB on shredded plastic bag (jig head fly) and even on naked a hook too:

Image Image

Here's a spin fly rig illustration for your reference:

patrick2405
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by patrick2405 »

oh hahas thanks for clarifying :) yeah im new and btw the pb seems to be damn hungry empty hook also whack.... i heard that pb likes red?

ping
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by ping »

patrick2405 wrote:oh hahas thanks for clarifying :) yeah im new and btw the pb seems to be damn hungry empty hook also whack.... i heard that pb likes red?
No idea pb likes red or not, but I hit them mostly on white flies. looking forward for your spin fly CR soon :)

stout infantfish
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Net fishing

Post by stout infantfish »

Did you catch the fish from serangoon or punggol? Sure looks familar from your picture posting. :p

ping
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by ping »

stout infantfish wrote:Did you catch the fish from serangoon or punggol? Sure looks familar from your picture posting. :p
ya, I do fish in Punggol Park and the big longkang behind it. you fish there too?

stout infantfish
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Net fishing

Post by stout infantfish »

Yes, in fact i live there for 12 years already ,but i still pefer sea fishing as it gives me more thrills of not knowing what kind of fish or rays one can get.I still find quesy eating fish from ponds or longkang as it tastes muddy,if you know what i meant.Anyway,one man's meat is another man's poison.So long you are happy with your catch and enjoy the joys of fishing,you can do it anywhere your hearts desire.That is one thing good about fishing :lol: