Where to crab?

Interest group for crabbers and prawners alike.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Kim Bak Lor
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Crabbing, Surf Fishing

Where to crab?

Post by Kim Bak Lor »

Hi I tried crabbing at bedok jetty at the deeper end (just before T junction) and the nearshore(first shelter) using those rectangular nets with batang fish head and selar fish heads, but no catch.. Last time i went also no catch, but the first time i came got some flower crabs. Isit a matter of where to throw down the net? Anyone knows which part to crab?

And can recommend any good place for crabbing flower and mud crabs , the exact location? Thanks

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Where to crab?

Post by Peace »

Hi Kim Bak Lor, welcome to HLF. I'm not much of a crabber so I'll leave it to our HLF crabbers to chip in. I personally would deploy the crab traps nearer to shore unless I am doing some fishing as well on Bedok Jetty. Sembawang jetty is a popular place for catch swimming crabs but they're mostly very small ones, you do get a few decent sized ones every now and then. You may also want to try out Punggol Jetty or the seawall along Seventeenth Ave.

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by ilurbtambans »

Hi Kim Bak Lor! welcome to HLF's crabbing section. You might want to read this crabbing guide compiled by me and alibaba, edited and posted by peace :D http://handlinefishing.com/howtofish/gu ... bingguide/
tips on buying baits
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4754

As for flower crabs you can try like what peace suggested, punggol jetty or the seawall along seventeen ave and sembawang. you could also try changi board walk! Started my first few crabbing sessions there and learned lots of valuable tips from this friendly ah lau over there, but one thing to look out for is the sunken stilts as they make snag your crab cage! ><

mud crabs are more tricky as their habitats are in the mangroves and there are only so that many mangroves in singapore, jurong used to be a huge mangrove swamp in the 50s before it became an industrial estate. PS. please dont go to sungei buloh wetland reserve, its illegal

One last thing before i wrap up! Crabbing is SHIONG! mark my words, on a normal trip i carry 6-7 cages plus baits and water, get bitten by red ants and mozzies. Its not as easy as fishing where you can carry light. Hope you enjoy crabbing! :D

do post here if you need any other tips on crabbing here, me and my sifu alibaba will answer your questions! cheers! :nod:

Kim Bak Lor
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Kim Bak Lor »

Thanks!

But so theres no places to catch mud crabs? And anyone crabs at bedok jetty?

Sembawang i use the rectangular cage trap no crab for many time, only those bamboo net work cus more open.. But now no place sell this bento traps

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Where to crab?

Post by ilurbtambans »

There ARE places that have mud crabs, lemme give you a hint! Mangrove swmaps, where can you find them. Go google and you'll find out where

As for traps, the rectangular ones are more of a every 30-60mins check cos the crabs have to find their way into the cage, and once they are in they cant come out. But as for the bento traps it is more open an crabs can go in easily, but they can escape easily too. So check every 10-15mins

Kim Bak Lor
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Kim Bak Lor »

I see.. Thanks.

Hmm but for sembawang park which kind of trap is advised and should i put the traps at the end or near start of jetty? Thx

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by ilurbtambans »

you can try a combination of bentos and cages. Bentos for constant surveying of which part of the jetty has crab as you can constantly pull up and check, cages for places you know that has crab.

Kim Bak Lor
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Kim Bak Lor »

I see.. I tot all mangrove swamp illegal to crab or fish

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by ilurbtambans »

lol! i think you got the wrong idea, sungei buloh is a nature reserve so you cant take anything from there, so that means that no fishing/crabbing etc there

Kim Bak Lor
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Kim Bak Lor »

Lol.. Google only come out sungei buloh..
Maybe i try sungei api

Kim Bak Lor
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Kim Bak Lor »

Anyone knows where i can buy those bento traps?

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by ilurbtambans »

i'm pretty sure most tackleshops carries them, you can try fishingbuddy toa payoh, beach road, changi village, or sincere tackles at yishun, or you could call them up!
heres a list of tackleshops http://handlinefishing.com/whosfishing/ ... ectory.htm

Kim Bak Lor
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Kim Bak Lor »

Lol i frequent beach road but i usually only see one crab trap which is the umbrella like trap at joe tackles.. Wonder if its effective ?

And is tying rafia string to the trap ok?

Lol thinking of going bedok jetty to go crabbing and fishing at the afternoon but kinda low tide hmmm

alibabaCrabber
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: anything

Post by alibabaCrabber »

u got try crabbing at six pipe hearsay got mud crabs n flowers :D

Kim Bak Lor
Line Untangling
Line Untangling