no fish in longkang

For anglers who handles the fishing lines with bare hands.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

BigBait
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Surf fishing , lure fishing , handline fishing , squid fishing

no fish in longkang

Post by BigBait »

went handlining at the whampoa longkang guess wat nothing 3 hours and nothing and that lonkang have alot of fish few weeks back throw something on now throw wait .........wait nothing wat the hell happened

Kst
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Handline Fishing

Re: no fish in longkang

Post by Kst »

I just went to a canal in whampoa few days back, not sure if its the same one but I caught a couple of manyan cichlid and green chromites with bread. if you're aiming for them, can try just drop the bread near the wall of the canal. Please cnr and leave some for our future generations :o

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

I've also noticed lots of cichlids on that canal beside Sim Lim Tower and seen people fishing for them. Cichlids are very adaptive and breed fast, I think they're family of fishes that are less likely to suffer from depletion. Conservation can be a good thing but these fishes are alien to begin with, so it's not exactly a straightforward approach.

Welcome to HLF, Kst. :)

Kst
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Kst »

Thanks for the welcome Peace, I'm actually a friend of 'shrimp' and he introduced me to handlining. It certainly is addictive. Do you do handlining yourself? I've been searching for different canals to look for different fishes. So far, I've tried canals in Sembawang and lentor (connected to LSR), but it seems like the latter has turned empty. After the first trip which I caught 2 giant gouramis and 1 baby peacock bass, the subsequent 5 trips turned out empty, not even a single bite. Do you know of other interesting canals which I can explore?

patrick2405
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: freshwater fishing and occasionally sea fishing
ask me anything about freshwater fishing and i will try to answer them :D

Post by patrick2405 »

Kst wrote:Thanks for the welcome Peace, I'm actually a friend of 'shrimp' and he introduced me to handlining. It certainly is addictive. Do you do handlining yourself? I've been searching for different canals to look for different fishes. So far, I've tried canals in Sembawang and lentor (connected to LSR), but it seems like the latter has turned empty. After the first trip which I caught 2 giant gouramis and 1 baby peacock bass, the subsequent 5 trips turned out empty, not even a single bite. Do you know of other interesting canals which I can explore?
wow to be able to get 2 giant gouramis and a pb on the first trip is considered quite a feat :D :thumbsup:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

I do handline but not so much in canals. There's one interesting canal you can try (this is saltwater btw), go on a day with spring tide and fish on the incoming tides. There should be a security post on the bridge, make sure you don't cross it. Just fish along the short stretch on the side before the bridge, many anglers get into trouble with the police trespassing into the area.

For freshwater, Nee Soon Long Kang is a good spot but they've put up no fishing signs after some reconstructions.

Kst
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Kst »

patrick2405 wrote:wow to be able to get 2 giant gouramis and a pb on the first trip is considered quite a feat :D :thumbsup:
that's called beginner's luck i guess. lol the pb was really a baby. like 8 cm long. probably 10 grams. lol
Peace wrote:I do handline but not so much in canals. There's one interesting canal you can try (this is saltwater btw), go on a day with spring tide and fish on the incoming tides. There should be a security post on the bridge, make sure you don't cross it. Just fish along the short stretch on the side before the bridge, many anglers get into trouble with the police trespassing into the area.

For freshwater, Nee Soon Long Kang is a good spot but they've put up no fishing signs after some reconstructions.
I think I'll be going there tonight, the interesting canal. today seems a good day (: what bait would you recommend? I was thinking just prawn and some bread. worm would be cool but.. haven't tried it before lol

about the whampoa canal, I went there and fished last night again. not the main one but a smaller branch. it was full of manyan cichlid! full of them! so I caught them and kill them all. nah just kidding. cnr all the way. mostly juveniles though. wonder if they make good bait fish....

some of the fishes I've caught at whampoa can be found here (last few pics of the album):
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 75a1d53c3e

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

It's been a rainy day, I think it'll affect the water quality. I see people targeting for barramundis at the canal mouth using live prawns/milkfish on floating rigs. I've also seen people land rabbitfish, small snappers and groupers along the canal wall.

The Whampoa Canal looks awesome, I see you can catch quite a variety of fishes there using handline. It looks fun! :D Are some of the catches from Sembawang Canal?

Kst
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Kst »

Peace wrote:It's been a rainy day, I think it'll affect the water quality. I see people targeting for barramundis at the canal mouth using live prawns/milkfish on floating rigs. I've also seen people land rabbitfish, small snappers and groupers along the canal wall.

The Whampoa Canal looks awesome, I see you can catch quite a variety of fishes there using handline. It looks fun! :D Are some of the catches from Sembawang Canal?

oh... damn. i don't think i'll be using live prawns/milkfish.. nvm i'll use some dead prawns and hope for the best..

yah the green chromite was at the main canal though. the small canal is fun and the mayan cichlids there are so tiny and cute i think can give girls. haha. yup some of the catches are from sembawang canal. so far.... we only got sagor catfishes there. haha the canal is full of them. even during thunderstorms they still took our baits!

Kst
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Kst »

despite a drizzle and missing the first half of the major time, we still landed a russell's snapper and black eel tail catfish. not that bad. next time we'll try day time. feels like an awesome place and it really is an interesting canal lol thanks for the recommendation Peace!

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Heh, I was wondering about the catfish and wondered if it was possible for Whampoa Canal to have it. Frankly, I didn't have a chance to really try out that Changi canal as it's a little too far and inconvenient for me. It certainly looks like a good place to handline though, if only we are allowed to fish more of the canal.

I look forward to see more of your catches there. ;)

Kst
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Kst »

They blocked off the other side and the right side so the fishing area is really limited! Even that small space we have to fight with the cockroaches there. I might be going this weekend again probably during the day time, you interested to join us?

Anyway, is this the Nee Soon canal you mentioned?
http://maps.google.com.sg/maps?q=Bef+Sg ... 91,,0,7.71

If so, that was where I caught the giant gouramis and baby pb! Heard of anyone catching anything there lately? The last few trips there were really demoralising.. haha

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Yes, the stretch of canal you can fish is really short, you can expect a crowd there during weekends so you have to be real early to get a good spot. i.e. the canal mouth. But for handlining, the inner part of the canal is just fine. I won't be able to join you though, thanks for the invitation. :)

I can't see the map from your link but this is Nee Soon Longkang. It's a nice fishing spot as the canal is joins Upper and Lower Seletar Reservoir, fishes will swim up the canal. I've caught haruans, peacock bass, climbing perch in this canal. I've seen a few kois but didn't manage to get them. A long time ago, I used to fish for tiger barbs and tilapias in this longkang over a little bridge. It's gone now. :(

Kst
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Kst »

its okay.. when old places are gone, new places are waiting to be discovered. yah that is the one! among my fishing group, we always like to call it lentor canal. heh. that's where I spent all my beginners' luck. when was the last time you fished there? were there a lot of weeds in the water? maybe its psychological.. but ever since I saw them clearing the weeds away, I just can get any bites there anymore..

anyway, we decided not to go changi tmr as the major time is at 7.42am and we have no car.. will be fishing in 'northern' canal instead. lol

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

There were lots of weeds when I was fishing there and I can always see fishes coming up for air. Spotted lots of small haruans among the weeds too. Lots of different species of fish in this longkang, there were guppies and I saw swamp eels down the stream. I ever probe into holes along the bank further down the stream before they were concreted and there were crayfish hiding in the burrows.