Tinfoil Barb

Yes, you can help us. If you know anything about the fish species in our water that may be useful to the fishing community, do chip in. Together we can help our fellow anglers understand their target and catch.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

poptiger
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: lure fishing,surf fishing,handline fishing

Re: Tinfoil Barb

Post by poptiger »

this type of fish best not to use float and colour line cux they have very sharp eyes. can use small hook as their mouth is not that big.the best is to use bread as bait but don't press the bread too on the hook .the fish don't dive deep for bait, they normally eat floating bread. If fish at mac be carefull of tortise they will steal bread.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Thanks for the useful tips on catching this barb and welcome to HLF poptiger. :flower:

mtan8
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Surf Fishing

Post by mtan8 »

Caught this last week. A surprised catch. It's quite big around 12.5 inches. Cooked and ate it. The meat is soft and taste ok. Better than Tilapia and seem to resemble Pomfret texture except it is very bony. Many Y shape bones around its upper mid body. I would recommend catch and release considering the risks from its bony feature.
Attachments
20200805_221750.jpg
20200805_221750.jpg (1019.59 KiB) Viewed 6517 times

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

That's definitely a big one. You have quite a knack for trying the less commonly eaten local fishes, I must say I'm intrigued and certainly do appreciate your inputs on the taste of these different fishes. :grin:

Edit: Again, if you don't mind I would like to use your fish photos for HLF. :thumbsup:

mtan8
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Surf Fishing

Post by mtan8 »

Yes. Its my pleasure to share the photos. So far I have caught 4. This one is largest so far at around 13.5 inches.
Attachments
20200814_233303.jpg
20200814_233303.jpg (558.74 KiB) Viewed 6469 times

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

That's one big fat barb, thanks for sharing. :thumbsup: