Freshwater Stingray and "Patin"

Yes, you can help us. If you know anything about the fish species in our water that may be useful to the fishing community, do chip in. Together we can help our fellow anglers understand their target and catch.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

mtan8
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Surf Fishing

Freshwater Stingray and "Patin"

Post by mtan8 »

First time I witnessed a freshwater stingray. This one was caught by two anglers after the afternoon downpour today. I googled and it seem to be a Motoro Stingray. They also caught a catfish which looks like a Patin. Interesting catch within 30 mins. Earthworm was used as bait.
Attachments
20200727_233604.jpg
20200727_233604.jpg (760.3 KiB) Viewed 8416 times
20200727_233450.jpg
20200727_233450.jpg (874.2 KiB) Viewed 8416 times

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Freshwater Stingray and "Patin"

Post by Peace »

Thanks for sharing these catches, do you mind if I use them for HLF? The ray is Motoro for sure, released by fish hobbyists. If possible, don't release these invasive species back into the waters.

For the catfish, I am not too certain if it's a Patin. I'll try to look it up, catfish family is big and they can look similar.

mtan8
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by mtan8 »

Yes. Please feel free to use those photos.
I didn't know the Motoro ray is a invasive species. Can they be eaten?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Thanks for letting me use your photos, would happen to have a higher resolution of this ray without its tail being cropped off?

The ray does have venomous sting like many stingrays but I doubt it can't be eaten (don't take my word for it). It's more widely regarded as as a pet locally. :sweatdrop:

There were in the news a while back you can read more about them in the links below:
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... -stingrays
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... e-barbecue

mtan8
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by mtan8 »

Yes. I have a few more photos but it appear there is a limit on the file size. I could email to you if you let me know your email address. Thanks.
Attachments
20200814_234747.jpg
20200814_234747.jpg (554.36 KiB) Viewed 8334 times

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Thanks mtan8, sorry for not replying earlier. This is a good picture, though I would love one with higher resolution. Please email any additional images to handlinefishing@gmail.com, your contribution is very much appreciated. :cool: :thumbsup:

JackOfAllTrades
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Microfishing, squid fishing, lurefishing, normal baiting w various rigs

Post by JackOfAllTrades »

Peace wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:23 pm
Thanks for sharing these catches, do you mind if I use them for HLF? The ray is Motoro for sure, released by fish hobbyists. If possible, don't release these invasive species back into the waters.

For the catfish, I am not too certain if it's a Patin. I'll try to look it up, catfish family is big and they can look similar.
Hi man the catfish is a Chrysichthys auratus aka nile golden catfish, we have a shoal of them in the Kallang waterway